Speech pathologists serve individuals, families, groups and the general public through work to prevent and treat disabilities involving speech, voice, language, communication and swallowing. Services provided by the speech pathology staff at Meadville Medical Center (MMC) include the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up services for pediatrics, adults and geriatrics in the following areas. Contact MMC to make an appointment.
Speech Therapy Service Areas Include:
- Speech -Includes disorders of articulation
- Language – Includes developmental and acquired disorders of receptive and expressive communication skills.
- Swallowing Disorder/Dysphagia – Difficulty with chewing or swallowing. Diagnostic testing may include a Modified Barium Swallow (MBS).
- Cognitive Aspects of Communication – Includes cognitive disorders associated to language such as memory, thought organization, attention, and processing of information.
- Voice Disorders – Includes impairments related to vocal performance such as pitch, volume, breath support, vocal hygiene. An ENT diagnosis is required prior to treatment for voice therapy. The Computerized Speech Lab is one of the diagnostic tools used in assessment and treatment process.
- Fluency – Includes disorders related to stuttering, cluttering, and overall rate of speech.
- Social Aspects of Communication – Ineffective social skills, lack of communication opportunities, poor interactive skills
- Family/Caregiver Education – related to communication and swallowing disorders
- Alternative Communication Techniques -Includes identifying the most optimal means of communication such as communication devices and aids and/or gesturing/sign language.