Treatment During and After Pregnancy
Pregnancy and postpartum rehabilitation therapy addresses common areas of pain and dysfunction that arise during pregnancy and after childbirth. Pregnancy often creates specific stresses to the abdominal wall, pelvic floor and low back that could require rehabilitation. Pre-education can prevent exacerbation of these symptoms, while postpartum rehabilitation, will evaluate and treat pain that can arise due to the birthing experience. These services will assist with restoring the body to its pre-pregnancy status.
Common Symptoms and Conditions:
- Low back pain
- Pubic symphysis pain
- Hip pain
- Abdominal muscle weakness
- Diastasis rectus abdominis
- Pelvic floor weakness
- Lower and upper extremity birthing injuries
- Cervical or thoracic pain from birthing
- Learn to contract/relax pelvic floor muscles to prepare for birth
- Strengthen and coordinate pelvic floor muscles to reduce pain or prevent urinary leakage
- Manual therapy techniques to reduce pain
- Deep core stabilization and stretching programs
- Posture education and training
- Functional activity training to reduce discomfort with day-to-day activities
- Perineal Massage techniques to reduce the risk of tearing during birth
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- Labor and Birthing position preparation: to reduce the risk of exacerbating prior low back, hip, or pelvic pain during delivery and to educate on positions that can assist with the progression of labor.
Contact Women's Health Therapies
If you have any of the above symptoms, please contact Women’s Health Therapy, your OB/GYN, or primary care physician. We can help provide supportive treatment and education for a healthy YOU!