Infectious Disease and Travel Health
- Referral from Primary Care Provider (PCP)
The clinic provides care or treat acute or chronic infections, orthopedic
infections, STD'S, HIV and hepatitis C, in addition to established
follow up patients (hospitals follow up
- Initial evaluation by patient PCP and complete medical records are required
prior to making appointments at the infectious disease office. (Records
pertaining to whatever reason for visit to the ID clinic). Except for
HIV treatment and HIV Pre exposure prophylaxis.
Travel Medicine is a specialized area of healthcare focused on protecting
international travelers from disease and illnesses.
- Travel visit is also an opportunity to review those other immunizations
that are recommended for adults are current.
When Should I See The Travel Medicine Specialist?
As soon as your itinerary is set, please call (814) 373-5255 to schedule
your appointment. It would be ideal to see you early to discuss your health
needs and prevention prior to travel. Ideally, vaccines should be completed
four to six weeks prior to travel.
How Long Will The Visit Take?
- Most visits take approximately 30-45 minutes
- Make sure to bring the following with you to your visits:
- List of medications
- Insurance cards
- Copayments or form of payment
Our visits are designed specifically for you and your needs. The Travel
Medicine Specialist will review your itinerary and design specialized
travel medicine recommendations after conducting a quick review of your
past medical history. All visits are specialized for the patient and region
you are traveling. We also review other routine vaccinations and make
sure you are up to date. There are recommended and required vaccinations
for your trip.
There are routine, recommended and required vaccines for traveling.
- Hepatitis A & B
- Influenza vaccine
- Yellow fever (some countries)
There is also a review of food, water and insect precautions, antimalarial
prescriptions and pre and post travel advice.
Infectious Disease & Travel Health of Meadville is an approved site
by the Pennsylvania Department of Health to administer Yellow Fever Vaccine.
We will provide an official certificate of vaccination, which may be required
to enter certain countries. It is important to check with your insurance
provider directly to see if you have immunization coverage.
Vaccines Available in the US for Travel:
- Yellow fever (YF) vaccine, meningococcal vaccine, typhoid vaccine, hepatitis
A vaccine, hepatitis B vaccine, polio, rabies vaccine, cholera, and Japanese
- Influenza, Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis), MMR (measles, mumps,
and rubella), poliovirus, Pneumococcal and varicella vaccinations
- Advice on malaria prevention and traveler's diarrhea
- Discussion about food, water, insect precautions, STD's, etc.
Meadville Medical Center Providers