Additional Info: THIS TEST IS TO BE USED TO DETECT BLOOD IN STOOL FOR PURPOSES OTHER THAN COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENING.
This is a sensitive test for enhanced detection of fecal occult blood.
Methodology: Hemoccult Guaic
Specimen Requirements: The following guidelines should be followed for a minimum of 3 days before and during collection of the stool specimens unless otherwise indicated.
Refer to Patient Information for specimen collection handout.
- For 3 days before and during stool collection period, avoid red meat (beef, lamb, or liver).
- Eat a well-balanced diet including fiber such as bran cereals, fruits, and vegetables.
- Do not drink excessive alcohol as it may cause false positive results.
- Do not take aspirin (more than one adult aspirin/day) or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen or naproxen) for 7 days prior to testing and during testing.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) can be taken as needed.
- For 3 days before and during stool collection period, avoid vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in excess of 250 mg per day from supplements, citrus fruits and juices. Some iron supplements contain Vitamin C in excess of 250 mg.
- Do not collect samples during, or until 3 days after your menstrual period, or while you have bleeding hemorrhoids or blood in your urine.
- Protect slides from heat, light and volatile chemicals (iodine, ammonia, bleach, and household cleaners).
- Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Please call Meadville Medical Center Laboratory at 814-333-5511 if you have any questions.
COLLECT SPECIMEN AS FOLLOWS:
- Fill out all the information requested on the front of each slide. Slides are supplied by Meadville Medical Center Laboratory.
- Collect samples from bowel movements collected on three different days.
- It is best to collect the specimen in a clean, dry container, but it is also acceptable from the toilet bowl. (Remove toilet bowl cleaner from toilet tank and flush twice before proceeding if collecting specimen from the toilet.)
- With a wooden applicator stick, collect a small amount of stool.
- Spread a thin smear on window A of the first slide. Repeat from a different portion of the stool for window B. Close the cover flap.
- Repeat these instructions for the remaining slides after your next bowel movements. Collect samples from consecutive bowel movements or those closely spaced.
- Return the slides to the laboratory after all specimens are collected. They should be returned to the lab within 3 days of the first specimen’s collection.
Source: SKD Hemoccult® Sensa
Days Set Up: Monday through Sunday